should I make an outreach request?
- If you recognize someone sleeping in a place not meant for human habitation i.e., on the streets, outside in a tent, in a park, in a vehicle (does not include habitable RVs), in an emergency shelter or safe haven, or in a place not meant for human habitation, or is immediately exiting an institution with nowhere to go (hospitals, jail, prison, treatment center). Then you can help them by making an outreach request and alerting us as to any specific concerns you may have regarding the people/person's well-being.
2. When should I NOT make an outreach request?
- If there is a medical or mental health emergency. Please call 911.
- If this is in response to crime or illegal activity. Please call law enforcement.
3. How soon will the mobile outreach team respond?
- Due to high demand and limited hours, it may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for a mobile outreach team to be deployed, and we may need to prioritize those individuals who are most vulnerable. With over 5,000 people living on the streets of Austin-Travis County, the need for outreach services is great.
4. What does the mobile outreach team do?
- The mobile outreach team has many different skills including homeless services navigation, mental health first aid, motivational interviewing, and trauma informed care, among others. They start by building a trusting relationship with and determining the needs of individuals living on the streets. Our mobile team takes the portable services like humanitarian aid and coordinated assessments from our Hub location and brings them to the individual or homeless encampment with the ultimate goal of helping individuals acquire safe, supportive housing.
5. Can I get an update on what happened?
- If you provide your contact information, we will let you know we received your request and when it was fulfilled. We are required by law to protect the privacy of those we serve, therefore we are unable to share further updates (unless the client approves). However, if you agree to be contacted, we may reach out to you to ask additional questions that will help us locate and connect with the person referred.
6. How else can I help my unhoused neighbors?
- Volunteering and donating to organizations serving people experiencing homelessness is a great way to help! Check out our ways to get involved or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to get involved with the Sunrise.